Monday, February 16, 2009

Temporarily Lost But Not Forgotten

Hi Jared...here's my first and only elm tale.

Searching for unusual trees is my hobby. Very early spring 2007 I came across a pallet(about 20 fifteen gall.) of Princeton American Elms sitting outside a local Home Depot. Unable to resist I excitedly purchased three(two for me and the other for a fellow plant geek friend). I still remember planting them in pouring rain and mud but I couldn't resist getting them in the ground a.s.a.p. As a garden designer I'm always in need of and searching for more plants. This brought me back to Home Depot later that summer. Much to my dismay I noticed those same elms had been moved to a corner of the parking lot and left to bake in the 90 degree sunshine on blacktop. These poor trees were surrounded by other plant material all of which had obviously been neglected. It seemed that nothing had been watered for days. A hand-made sign indicated that all plants in this area were 75% off. Most of the smaller shrubs and perennials were dead but to my surprise the elms were very much alive. There were seven left and I "rescued" them all certain I could find them good homes. I'm happy to report they're doing quite well today.My above mentioned friend and I each added one to our landscape and others have found spots in some of my clients yards. Not only are they thriving and growing quite fast but I must mention that these trees require little to no maintenance. I'm not sure what the moral of this story is but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Princeton American Elm to both plant geeks and regular folk alike!........Bernard Gross/Garden Partners

Thanks Bernard, I was very interested when you told me this story and also very excited that those Princeton American Elms where able to be saved. You do have a kind heart my friend!

Check out the next story or information on the elm comming soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment